Police Department FAQs
Why does the Union County Sheriff's Office answer the phone when I call the Plain City Police Department?
The Plain City Police currently contracts with the UCSO for dispatching. The 614-873-4321 number is answered by the Union County Sheriff’s Office. The dispatchers are employed by the UCSO and answer a designated line for Plain City. They in turn dispatch the Plain City Police Officers. The 614-873-2921 business line is established for residents to call for non-emergency matters. There is voice mail available for each officer if no one answers the line. The officer whom you left a message with will return your call ASAP. 9-1-1 is answered by the Madison County Sheriff’s Office. They in turn contact UCSO dispatch, who then dispatches the Plain City Police Officers.
When should I report a crime or incident to the police?
Never hesitate to call the Police for a crime or incident. Don’t think that you are bothering us. The officers will respond to every call received in priority. Something as trivial as a suspicious person or car, etc can stop a crime. Remember you are our extra eyes and ears.
How can I get a copy of a report?
You can come to the police department during normal business hours Monday-Friday to obtain a copy of a report. You can also call 614-873-2921 to request a copy, e-mail us by clicking on the 'Contact Us' link above or you can download our Report Request Form by clicking on the 'Forms' link above. 
I need to obtain a criminal history check with the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation (BCI&I) and need fingerprinted, can I do that at the Plain City Police Department?
The Plain City Police Department is not equipped with Web-Check or Live Scan and can no longer accommodate fingerprinting for Civilian Background Checks.  Criminal history checks can be performed at BCI&I in London and also at the Sheriff's Office in both Madison and Union counties.  Click on 'Links' above for contact information for each Sheriff's Office and BCI&I.  For a complete list of locations equipped for criminal history checks, please click here.
Is soliciting and/or mobile vending permitted in Plain City?
Yes, soliciting and mobile vending are both permitted within Plain City, but there are laws governing both.  Solicitor and Mobile Vendor Permits are required by Plain City Ordinance 723.01.  Application for permit may be found by clicking on 'Forms' above.  The applcation fee for a permit is $50.00 and is non-refundable and non-transferrable.  A permit is valid for one year from the date of issuance unless revoked.  A permit will be issued or denied within 3 to 5 business days from the date of application.  Application must be made in person with proper and valid government issued identifiction.  Soliciting is permitted only from 10am to 7pm Monday through Saturday, excluding all national holidays.  Plain City has also implemented a No Knock Registry in which residents may register their address yearly.  Solicitors are required to download the current No Knock List from our website prior to the start of each business day in order to comply with requests of Plain City residents.  The complete ordinance with the list of rules and conditions may be found by clicking on 'Forms' above.
Can I have the police watch my house while I'm on vacation?
Yes, the Police Department will conduct a house watch at your residence and/or business. You can either stop in at the Police Department or call the business line and leave your information with an officer. The Residence Check Form is available by clicking the 'Forms' link above.
I think there is a speeding problem in my neighborhood. What should I do?
The Police Department would like to hear from you if it appears that the motor vehicle traffic in your neighborhood appears to be going faster than the posted limit. Please try to note if it is primarily occurring at specific times or throughout the entire day. We will then devise a plan to help resolve this problem.  We have several options available such as utilizing a covert radar device, called StealthStat, to monitor and track the speed of vehicles, a radar speed display trailer to show motorists their speed, and stationary patrol in a marked cruiser to enforce and deter speeding in the “problem area” for a set period of time. Current statistics compiled from the use of the StealthStat are posted on the 'Stats' page.
What time is curfew?
Curfew is 9 p.m. to 5 a.m, for children 15 years of age and younger. Curfew is 11 p.m. – 5:00 a.m. children 16-17 years of age. Children who are accompanied by a responsible adult and/or parent are not subject to the curfew laws.
Does the police department ever sell or auction seized, abandoned, unclaimed, unneeded or unused property?
Yes, the police department does periodically auction these types of property. We utilize an auction website called We generally auction office equipment that is no longer used or needed, vehicles that have been impounded and never claimed by the rightful owner, property found abandoned where ownership is undetermined, and other items that have lawfully come into the possession of the police department. Unclaimed bicycles can also be auctioned, but have also been donated to charitable non-profit organizations. The police department will never sell or auction any item that was originally manufactured or intended to be a weapon, such as guns and knives. Instead, these items will be destroyed or if valuable, may be traded to a law enforcement firearms dealer to upgrade current equipment at a reduced cost.
What should I do if my credit card is lost or stolen or if I notice unauthorized charges on my statement?
You should immediately contact the financial institution that issued the card and notify them that it was lost or stolen and advise them of any unauthorized transactions.  You should also contact the three national credit reporting bureaus, especially if there are unauthorized or fraudulent transactions.  The three credit bureaus are: (800-685-1111), (800-888-4213), and (888-397-3742).  You may also want to report it to the local law enforcement agency that has jurisdiction where the loss or theft occurred.